Thursday, July 23, 2015

Painted paper collage

This was a great end of the year projects for kindergarteners.  It showed how their cutting, gluing, painting, drawing, and coloring, skills have grown throughout the year.  I was in awe of their creativity.  



On the first day we looked at some Eric Carle books and saw how he made different types of paper with colors and textures. I then gave each table a pair of colors: red and yellow, blue and yellow, or blue and red.  I told students to paint a section with one color and then while that color was still wet mix the second color on top. While the paint was still wet, students scratched the paper with texture tools to make some textures and patterns.  This was also a great time to review primary and secondary colors.



Before day two, I cut up the papers into fourths and divided the colors evenly so every table had every color.  I also included some painted paper scraps from another project to add some more colors.

On day 2, I told some classes to invent some type of creature or animal similar to Eric Carle's style.  With other classes I told them they could make anything.   After watching them work with the papers for a while I told students they could get markers to add details to their drawings.  I stressed them not to let the markers touch the glue and they listened well.  Students had to make up a story about their picture.  Once collages were finished, some students shared their collages and story.














No comments:

Post a Comment